{Instagram}

21 March 2016

Return to Tilly's Barn

 
This past weekend Mark and I made a return to one of our favourite places, Tilly's Barn in Borrowdale, Cumbria. We have stayed at the barn before, a couple of years ago, in rather more dreary weather. That post, with interior pics, can be seen here.


This time around we invited a different bunch of people, and it worked out great! The Friday night Sarah (Mark's sister) and Neil joined us and the second night my sister Jen, and Phil joined us. It turned out to be a lovely family weekend and it was SO much fun...


Can you spot the teeny tiny Tilly's Barn in the photo here? This photo illustrates why this place is so amazing, look at the surroundings! It's basically in the middle of nowhere, it has no mains electricity and certainly no phone signal, TV or internet. A fantastic place to get away from it all! But having said all that just down the road is a lovely pub and it is just a very short drive into Keswick!
So on Friday afternoon Mark and I made our way there from Carlisle, it is only 1 hour's drive. We unpacked our stuff and got the place ready for our first guests.

We met Sarah, who is Mark's sister, and her boyfriend Neil at the pub, which is about a 15 minute's walk from the barn. They brought along with them another little person, Scruff The Dog!

A lovely evening followed, with yummy food, cooked by Sarah, a few drinks and plenty of board game fun!


Then next day our plan was to meet Jen and Phil at the pub at midday, that gave us the morning to explore a bit and show Neil and Sarah the area.  That's Sarah and Neil, with Mark and Scruff The Dog in the photo.


We walked to Black Moss Pot, which is about 45 minutes walk up the valley, following the beautiful river all the way. Black Moss Pot is a wonderful wild swimming lagoon, I blogged about swimming it here.


Mark suggested that we might want to go and search for the secret cave near Black Moss Pot and pointed to a rather large steep fell...


Mark and Scruff The Dog posing! HOW cute is Scruff? I want one!
The cave is rather a secret, it is set up as a bothy, so a camping place that you just turn up to, you cannot book it. It is kept a secret by those in the know, so I am afraid I won't reveal its location here, but it is near Black Moss pot! Go explore.

It is well worth the climb up! But you have to pluck up some nerve to actually get into the cave through the teeny hole, I didn't go in (wuss!) but the others did, you can see how small it is here, with Sarah and Mark squeezing out. 


We made our way back down the fell, back up the valley and to the Langstrath Country Inn to meet Jen and Phil and they arrived right on time at 12 noon. Who needs mobile phones to make plans! wuhu!


Of course a delicious lunch was consumed in the pub! The food at the Langstrath was amazing! SO good we went back for tea too!

Another walk followed lunch, this time along to the next village of Rosthwaite to join a path to Grange. This is one of my very very favourite walks ever, and one I have blogged numerous times, here it is from the other way...
 We very much enjoyed seeing the new baby lambs in the fields, mega aw!


Scruff The Dog and the boys leading the way...


Dealing well with the tricky obstacles! hehe.


Jen not looking quite so sure!


Aw, I love this photo of the whole gang, and even better I'm not in it! haha. (I MUCH prefer being behind the camera!)


I snapped a lovely one of Jen and Phil.


Phil (and his stick)  admiring the beautiful river.


We couldn't resist snapping this cute little idea for planters!

So we made it to Grange and stopped in the café for desserts and cups of tea. I had an ice cream, yum yum!

We were super lucky with the weather, this valley in Borrowdale is quite literally the wettest recorded place in England, but we didn't see one spot of rain all weekend. Score!


We decided to be lazy and get a bus back along the road to Rosthwaite. But we waited and waited.... and nothing... I don't think these little Lakeland buses stick to a proper timetable!


So back up the road we all walked, it was only a few miles and really you cannot complain about the scenery!

Back at Langstrath we sadly said bye bye to Sarah and Neil and Scruff The Dog, boo! Then we made our way back down the valley to show Jen and Phil the barn.


Dinner was back in the Pub, it was delicious! Jen and I rounded off dinner with more ice cream and crumble.


We got up early the next day and got packed up. Jen and Phil had to get back to Carlisle to pick up James and then back home to Newcastle. Mark and I had more adventures awaiting us (stay tuned for forthcoming blog posts....)


One last look back to old Tilly's Barn as we wandered back up the track home. Bye Tilly's Barn, thanks for having us, you were a lot of fun.  Until next time....


4 comments:

  1. This place looks SO flippin' pretty Jo! We're so lucky to live in such a pretty part of the world. I really don't think i could cope living somewhere like London. Is that sad?!?!?!

    Loved this xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment Sally. I adore Borrowdale! We certainly are very lucky to live in Cumbria. I have lived in London (I must have gone a bit mad for a few years back then!) hehe. But I think being there helped me appreciate here more, and I know I would now never wish to live anywhere else. x

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for your comment Sally. I adore Borrowdale! We certainly are very lucky to live in Cumbria. I have lived in London (I must have gone a bit mad for a few years back then!) hehe. But I think being there helped me appreciate here more, and I know I would now never wish to live anywhere else. x

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment, I read each and every one, and they mean a lot to me. I do always try my best to reply.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...