1. A week off. YES! I am off this week, wuhu, this in itself is all the wonderful I need really. I seem to have been waiting for this week for so so long. Of course whilst dreaming about it it was to be the prefect week, a great mix of productive stuff done in the house and lovely sunny days out etc. Then I will go back to work all fresh and motivated. But somehow it is Wednesday already and er, not been quite so productive as I'd planned! hehe
2. Lazy unplanned days. I love to plan, I love to feel like I have achieved something. But the first proper days of my hol I've done precisely nothing! I've taken some naps, I've watched a lot of YouTube, curled up with a purry Meg... just pottered about... and it has been nice. I've not felt like doing much really. Sometimes it's nice just to be lazy.
3. A day with Dad and Kara. So I haven't been in the house all the time this week, on Sunday Dad and I went for a lovely walk up to Alston and the South Tyne Railway. We enjoyed our day in Keswick the other week a lot but we both felt guilty for not taking the dog! haha (dog people will get this!!!) so we chose a day out where Kara could come to. We walked up the line a few miles as far as we could go, had a little picnic and then got the little model train back again. I love this walk, a very fave.
4. The perfect chocolate brownie. I've been eating healthily for the past few weeks, but of course life is for living so I am allowing myself a little treat. That treat came in brownie form on Sunday on my day out. Now I don't know if it's just been a while since I ate anything like this or this was simply THE most perfect chocolate brownie ever. Gooey, thick and almost black in the middle with that delicate crisp crackley outside... oh dear god, I could eat these until they come out of my ears...!
5. Camping to look forward to. So it's not going to be a completely boring week of staying indoors... we have been planning a little camping trip. The first camping trip of the year is always Keswick, it's a little tradition of ours. (Check back on my blog posts past few years!!!) Keswick is easy, we know it super well and it's really close to home if it rains too much and the tent collapses. (Pessimistic much, NO we just live in Cumbria!!!) I cannot wait to be outside for 2 nights and 3 days.... I really feel like I need this little trip.
6. Super bright flowers. All of a sudden, everywhere all of the bright big flowers have popped up! They do this to me every year, I never seem to catch the bud stage... I just look around one day and they they all are. A lovely sight. I couldn't stop snapping on a little walk over to my parent's house the other morning... Rhododendrons are a fave, the biggest and brightest ones, and then loads of others I won't ever know the names of (as much as my Mum tries to tell me!).
7. A dainty lunch. So I did venture out for a couple of hours on Tuesday, actually walked to work (ugh) but only to meet friends to go out for lunch. There have been two birthdays recently so any excuse to celebrate in a dainty tea room with the promise of amazing cake! and what a lovely little place, all dainty cups and saucers and proper cake forks. A very lovely place with lovely people, made me smile a lot.
8. Finding the perfect top. Well that's probably a very bold statement to make, as said top has not even arrived yet and I've never seen it in real life... but I just KNOW it will be perfect (or rather I just know there will be tantrums if not!). I have an idea in my head of what I want my summer wardrobe to be and I've been scouring ALL the online clothes shops to find the bits I need. But I found THE top the other evening and quick as a flash with a couple of clicks it shall be mine... but then the waiting... moan and double groan!
Well it will be a bit of a bumper edition this week to cover two weeks worth of wonderfulness! I sort of forgot about this little post last week, my excuse is that I was terribly terribly ill! Only joking... I had a cold and was mostly feeling sorry for myself. All better now though.
Let's get right into it then... My happy list for the past two weeks....
An evening walk to the pub and back. It was a beautiful sunny evening after work one day last week. Mark got in and suggested a walk to the pub. We love this little pub quite a walk away along the river and in a little village. It's a beautiful walk, we go for the walk as much as the drink; we only stayed for one. This should be a weekly activity I say!
A day out with my dad. I love days out with my dad, we have lots in common and enjoy visiting places together. Dad suggested a day out in Keswick (a very favourite little town in the Lake District, only 40 mins away) the other weekend and as I wasn't busy I said yes straight away. Weather was lovely and just fab to wander a shared favourite place with my dad. Dad is also from Keswick so it's nice to hear his stories about growing up here too.
Proper sun. Well yes, this has probably been making me the most happiest of all! It's been lovely weather (mostly) for the past couple of weeks. It makes the walk to and from work such a pleasure and the days feel longer and you can do fun things in the evenings. It really does just put a smile on everyone's face.
Meg on lead. Yes Meg has been venturing outside in the big bad world of our little tiny terraced walled garden/yard. I bought her a little harness and lead, its pink! She is in equal parts both terrified and excited. She wants out ALL the time now though, she cowers at the door, goes a few steps and runs back in.... I'm not sure where this will all lead, but it's lovely seeing her explore new things.
Driving lessons. Shhhh, don't tell anyone but I have been having a few refresher driving lessons in the attempt to boost my confidence. It's a little embarrassing considering I only passed last summer, but at least I a doing something about it. I've had one in the instructor's car and one in my car. I, like Meg, am in equal parts both terrified and excited by this. I told my instructor to push me and she very much is... I just want to be good at driving already....
A family of ducks. I spied a wee family of ducks gently floating down the river one morning on my way to work and it was such a lovely sight. A mother and her many little ducklings happily following along. I could have stood there ages watching.
Visits from my mum when I am ill. I don't cope with being ill very well, because well I am very very rarely ill! But I was ill last week I seemed to be fighting off a cold or something as I felt like I had been hit by a ton of bricks, just exhausted and yuck. My mummy offered to come over with medicine (I never have medicine because a.... never ill, and b... I'm SO not an adult!) she brought cake and cream crackers too. Anyone else only want cream crackers when they are ill? Just me!? lol. I still very much need my mummy when I'm ill.
Evening bike ride. I took myself off on Sunday night for a lovely late evening bike ride just before it turned dark. Along the river I went, exploring my new neighborhood. Only a short ride of around 9 miles but it was lovely it was. And the best bit... well you can see in my image above... a baby Donkey! I did let out a teeny squeal when I spotted him!
Eating well. What is it about slightly warmer weather and the desire to eat healthily? I've been craving juicy things, fruit, veg, light meals. I don't want crazy sugar and stodge, it just does not seem appealing to me at the moment. This is MOST unusual for me! But I am happily going along with it and long may it last. Healthy eating makes me all kinds of happier!
Summer wardrobe planning. I don't do summer well. I'm most certainly a winter person... cardigans, cosy clothes, mittens, thick tights, scarves, coats... I do like to be covered up. So as much as I love the long warm days and the happiness it brings... I do kind of dread the wardrobe choices. But I've been window shopping a LOT! (there needs to be a new term for this now one does one's window shopping virtually!) I have compiled Pinterest boards of summer styles, and have favorites lists of so so so many things to buy on payday... it's a LOT of fun.
Moving on. So I moved house a few weeks ago, but up until last weekend I still had the keys to my flat. Lat minute tidying to do etc... I sort of moved before handing notice in so we could do it all in a phased way... anywho... Getting the final meter readings, handing the keys back to my landlord was the final hurdle and I just wanted it done and over with. I was kind of dreading it, thinking it would upset me a lot... but in the end I just needed the closure I guess. I did run out of the driveway of my flat really quickly after saying goodbye to the lovely old lady who was my landlord... told Mark to drive off really quick and I didn't want to look back. I approach these 'grown up' things like ripping off a plaster these days... or probably more like an Ostrich! hehe. It's one coping strategy anyway. But now it's done, chapter closed and it feels good.
Join in in the comments... what's been making you smile this week?
Another week down already! Phew, this one has wizzed by, come to think of it April has wizzed by too, so much so I've completely forgotten to blog my month in review... I wonder how late TOO late is!? hmm...
Anywho... I am trying my best to always find time for this little post, as compiling it makes me smile. The lovely lovely comments I have received every week on these rambly musings make me smile EVER so much, so thank you all!
So this is what's been keeping me going this week...
1. Date night. Mark and I went on a proper traditional date night this week, dinner and a movie! We went out for a lovely Italian and then to see Captain America: Civil War, it was a good film, the food was yummy and the company not bad either! wuhu. I love going to the cinema, we like our 3D films, get the VIP seats, Fanto Frozen big cups and snacks... I could honestly see anything, the film doesn't really matter, but sharing the experience with someone nice.
2. M&S cookie dough bites. Erm, YES! That's all that needs to be said really... Just heaven in a mouthful ... Go and find these at once... they are stupidly good.
3. A new place to run. I love my running (haven't done as much as I would hope recently, but let's not dwell on that...) I had my usual running spots which is probably not ever a good idea as you get into a routine and have the usual 'stopping' and resting spots too! I've moved house now.. so need new running places... along the river on a lovely path through fields, past dog walkers... that will do nicely...
4. A new Cath Kidston bag. Well this is a very sad tale and a very exciting one all at once. I adore adore adore Cath! I literally couldn't even contemplate using any other brand of bag (I'm entirely serious!!!) My beloved current Cath's handles are coming off, ugh. I have had it for a few years and use it daily and stuff too much into it and sling it around... So I felt it might be time for a new one. This saddens me a lot as I love this bag. But ooooh choosing a shiny new one... now this is fun, still haven't made up my mind, but the choosing and perusing the bags online, in the shop and online some more is not a bad way to spend one's time. Oh Cath, you're just SO pretty...
5. A smiley welcome from my baby Nephew. I was babysitting for my littlest nephew this weekend. He's a year and a half. I met him and my sister in the Metro Centre (they live nearby) and he recognised me and a big smile came across his face. I love that he recognises me now and knows me, and crucially is happy to see me. He is a pleasure to babysit for (we won't mention the vomit and the diarrhea without a nappy on, bless him!) but he is a little angel.
6. Cats on the window sill. I'm really enjoying my new walk to work, it's through an area of town I'm not too familiar with, or explored much before. I try to go down a different street each time too. The area of my work is very residential, with lots of cute little terraced streets. I love walking past one particular house where I spotted two cute black and white cats curled up on the window sill, they have very similar markings too. This morning I was walking past and there were not two cats but three! I was delighted.
7. A new toy for Kara. My family have an old collie dog called Kara, she lives with my mum and dad, but I think of her as my dog, or our dog. I'm clearly her favourite person ever! Mainly cos I bribe her with toys and treats a lot. I love vising Kara, but she has the best (or worst it should be) puppy dog eyes ever, every time I leave she looks so incredibly sad I feel guilty for hours after. So I do like to treat her, and often bring toys which she sits and chews and destroys in minutes, but who cares... They bring her happiness. She is getting on a bit now and won't be here forever, this is something that I can't even contemplate, but I love seeing her get so excited and puppy like when she gets new toys.
8. Holiday countdown. The image above is not new, it was taken months ago on a beautiful walk. Looking through my phone for suitable photos is sad as I don't feel like we have done anything in ages. In reality I had a lovely day out in the lakes only last month and enjoyed a long weekend camping the month before. But there is nothing really in the pipeline, nothing planned, except for a week off at the end of the month. Mark and I are both off together and I am desperate to get out and about, camping, walking, biking, just being outside, yes please. Moving is stressful, work is busy, I want something to look forward to. This little break coming up is keeping me going.
What's been making your Wednesday wonderful? Why not check out these inspirational ladies for their little dose of happiness... Sally, Michelle, Kate, Helen, Cat and Kate.